Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guass broken?
07-27-2014, 11:59 AM
Guass broken?
I am in a multiplayer game and have 4 gauss friggets and 2 plasma friggets. The gauss appear to be doing no damage even though the Starbase shields are down. It is turn 406.8 and the game is named Conflict at Eridanus.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2014, 06:06 AM
RE: Guass broken?
Two possible issues:
1- Gauss is short range, so your ships might not be close enough.
2- Shields recharge.

#2 creates a situation I've seen many times. It *looks* at first glance as though your opponent's shields are down, but in fact they have recharged just enough to equal the amount of damage done by your gauss turrets. Remember, gauss only does 1/10th of its normal damage against shields. So even at close range, 4 gauss turret would only do about 6 points of damage, meanwhile your opponent's shields are recharging at much more than 6 points per turn.

I don't know what the numbers are for shield recharge rates (I wish I did!), but it usually takes more than a couple plasma turrets to overcome the massive shields that starbases have.
07-30-2014, 06:41 PM
(07-28-2014 06:06 AM)Davabled Wrote:  So even at close range, 4 gauss turret would only do about 6 points of damage, meanwhile your opponent's shields are recharging at much more than 6 points per turn.

Don't forget that shields also block a certain amount of damage from each incoming volley depending on the level of the shields, as long as there are some shield points left (which could be the case, as you said, even though it seems as if they're down).

Level 1 shields block 1 point of damage per incoming attack for as long as they're up, and 1 point happens to be the amount of damage that Gauss I does against shields (10% of 10-12 points of damage = 1.0-1.2, rounded down = 1 point). So Gauss I actually does no damage against shields at all.

GC ID: anthee999
08-10-2014, 02:50 AM
Except that I had warlord 1. So each of the four gauss ships had 2 gauss 1 on them. Same for the plasma friggets (2 each). The armor on the base was taken down to a little over half of what it started at. The bulkheads took no damage at all. The shields (once they were zero) never showed anything but zero for the remainder of the battle. It looked bugged to me.
08-10-2014, 04:09 AM
Those are still individual weapons so shields block 1+ damage from each one of them individually as long as they're up.

But if the armor of the target was taking damage, sounds like the shields really were down and there may have been some bug involved after all.

GC ID: anthee999
08-10-2014, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 04:42 AM by Davabled.)
The armor might have taken damage from the Plasma, before the Gauss was in range. Then, as your ships moved into close range, the gauss started firing. However, now that your ships are in close range, the damage from the Plasma was reduced (that's the Achilles' Heel of Plasma), such that the net combined damage from your Plasma turrets equaled your opponent's shield recharge rate.

Even with the 150% bonus against shields, at point-blank range, each Plasma I turret only does 1.5 damage against shields. Assuming Shields I, it's actually only 0.5 damage. No damage at point blank if they have Shields II or Shield Modulation Unit.
Your ships were probably moving about a bit, so the Plasma damage would be a little higher, but again, to do more damage than the Shields can recharge, even with a total of 4 Plasma turrets, you would need to be at long range.

Keep your Plasma ships long range, and your Gauss ships close range, and you might be able to take out that Starbase.
08-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Actually you are correct. I play tested via a pass and play game and the laser/gauss combo succeeded where the plasma/gauss failed. The laser/gauss were on the same ships and the plasma/gauss were on different ships.