Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Frequently Used Strategies
05-25-2012, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2012 06:44 AM by falanor4421.)
Frequently Used Strategies
Starbase Orion Strategies

This guide will divide strategies into two sections: strategic, or game strategies, and tactical, or battle strategies.

A new strategy will be posted every four days or so. If you have a strategy you have played and would like to see it in this post then let me know and I’ll add it.

Builds and their strategies:

The Farming Build.

By increasing the effectiveness of your farmers you leave more citizens available to work or research. This can be a great way to get the maximum number of workers on one planet. If you can find a poor Terran or a poor Gaia world than you can usually feed your entire empire from one planet, at least for a while. And you can always sell the extra food for a little more Galactic Credits.

The downside to this build is that you will have lower production and research output per citizen. Technology can offset this, but you will probably feel the crunch when trying to build large hulls. This can be especially worrisome when building colony ships at the beginning of the game. Slow shipbuilding will mean slower empire building.

Several Racial trait combinations for a Farming Build.

Plant Whisperers 6
Huge Homeworld 1
Rich Homeworld 2
Galactic Navigators 1

This is a build entirely without negative traits. Plant Whisperers will net you a cool extra 2 food per farmer, which can add up quickly. The high population of your Huge Homeworld will give cache of workers to start your empire with. Your Rich Homeworld will help offset your average production abilities, but it means you will be utterly reliant upon your homeworld until you can find other planets to share the burden. Galactic Navigators could give you the needed range to find that extra planet or two. This could mean you don’t need to colonize that Poor Radiated planet as a stepping stone, but rather can go right to that Rich Gaia neighbor.

Plant Whisperers 6
Huge homeworld 1
Rich Homeworld 2
Galactic Navigators 1
Industrial Individuals 3
Small Minded Scientists -3

The main difference with this build is the addition of the Small Minded Scientists perk. While it is a negative value perk many Emperors prefer this. You won’t see the full wonders of technology for many years to come, but you will be able to upgrade most of what you want, when you want it. Industrial Individuals will give you an extra +1 Production per worker, which can add up real quick in the early game. This, combined with the extra workers you get from Plant Whisperers ensures that your workers will work just a little bit harder, making that colony ship or battleship a turn or two earlier, which can mean all the difference.

Conversely, the Industrial Individuals can be substituted for Quick Thinkers (+1 Research), Prosperous Businessmen (+1/2 Credit per population), or Fertile Biology (+50% Growth Rate). Depending on which you chose for your extra perk will greatly determine how you play the game. If you get Quick Thinkers you will want to concentrate on research. Prosperous Businessmen will be quicker to snap up leaders when they come, and their large treasuries can buy a ship a turn or two early to offset slow production. Fertile Biology Empires will want to expand quickly to take full advantage of the reproduction abilities of their citizens.

Farming Build Leaders

If you run a farming build a “must have” leader is Director Paramecium. Not only will he give a boost to each planet in a system via Biorich Fungi but he will also increase food production on whatever planet he is stationed at. To further top it off, he teaches his methods to all the farmers in your empire, increasing production of food, which restaurants and consumers fight to line up for.

The Research Build

With the change of initial structures in the game from research center to hydroponics facilities a research build has become not only viable, but also very formidable. This can be a great way to get an early lead in a game by having superior ships and planetary tech. If you encounter any poor planets, especially those with Ancient Ruins, than you might want to consider making it a research hub.

The downside to this build is less production and farming potential. Though you will get technology to offset the negatives here, you will produce and farm less, meaning you will need to place assign more workers and farmers to counteract this. Less production also means it will take longer to benefit from some of your research.

So keep in mind that a research build can be very powerful early and mid-game, but will lose the edge in late-stage games as production builds ramp up to full speed.

Several Racial Trait Combinations for a Research Build
Borderline Genius 6
Huge Homeworld 1
Rich Homeworld 2
Galactic Navigators 1

This is a build entirely without negative traits. Borderline Genius will net you a cool +2 research per scientist, which is a huge boost for early game civilizations. The high population of your homeworld will give you enough extra farmers and workers to offset their baseline abilities, ensuring you won’t starve and that you will have plenty of workers to create whatever you research. Your Rich Homeworld will help offset your average production abilities, but it means you will be utterly reliant upon your homeworld until you can find other planets to share the burden. Galactic Navigators could give you the needed range to find that extra planet or two. This could mean you don’t need to colonize that Poor Radiated planet as a stepping stone, but rather can go right to that Rich Gaia neighbor.

Quick Thinkers 3
Prosperous Businessmen 3
Old Fashioned -3
Huge Homeworld 1
Rich Homeworld 2
Brilliant Researchers 4
Small Minded Scientists -3
Galactic Navigators 1
Fantastic Engineers/Combat Pilots 2

This build combines a research build with a production build. It will give you a little bit extra production to create the few extra techs that your Quick Thinkers brainstormed for you. Add Brilliant Researchers to the mix and you might just get luck and land a few free techs. Small Minded scientist can help you focus on specific technology, but you won’t get high level tech quite as fast.

As before, the Galactic Navigators will help you shoot off the line fast, and the Fantastic Engineers or the Combat Pilots can give you the edge in fights. Some thing to be aware of is your Old Fashioned population, which will reproduce at a much lower rate than other empires. To counter this your smart scientists may want to research cloning technology, or your workers will want to start building colony ships so that you can get multiple populations growing at the same time.

Research Build Leaders

The biggest leader you will want to get is First Cerebrum. As soon as you do you will want to put him in the system with the most colonized planets. At the beginning this will probably be your home system, but don’t be afraid to move him when the opportunity arises. Whatever planet he ends up on, be sure to put that entire population on research. At +6 research per scientist it will knock out the research tree quickly. Also remember his Cerebral Cortex technology, which can be added to any non-starbase class ship. Wise empires might build a fleet of Cerebral Frigates for some quick and dirty research power, then scrap them later. Lastly, First Cerebrum’s advance mental process can dance around that of normal scientists, allowing him to infer new technology from whatever your scientists may unlock.

Another leader you will want to have is Magistrate Xalon. Not only will Xalon give your empire an immediate 10 GC per round boost (which just so happens to pays his large salary) but he will also immediate boost the production of whatever planet and system he is stationed at. The entire system will gain +1 production from the raw minerals that will be exported to them. The planet he is stationed at will find new bonanzas of wealth as Xalon exploits previously untouchable mineral deposits deep inside the planet’s crust. This can greatly help offset any poor production a research race might have.

37ddV's strategy

Was bored today so I thought I give some insight into how I play Starbase Orion 1v1. I’ve notice that no one else has really posted anything about how they play and their play style so I thought I would write one in hopes that others may also reveal their strategies too. In no way do I feel that I am a professional at this game, if anything I still feel I have more to learn. This strategy is not in any way intended to be the best or proven way to play, Starbase Orion can be play with many different strategy, however I feel that this strategy has worked best for me. This guide is made for the more intermediate players in hopes that added with their current knowledge and play style will improve their overall gameplay.

Let’s start with Traits:

What I always get:

Amazing Industrialists: +2 industry per worker. Cost: 6. Reason: Making things faster is better, also not sure if it does this, but I feel it effects civil funding and econ funding because it allows the worker to produce more industry to convert to civil and econ.

Prosperous Businessmen: +0.5 gc per pop. Cost: 3. Reason: With all the new leaders, its best to have credits to bid for them.

Huge Homeworld: 20 max pop at home world. Cost 1. Reason: Most things you build will come from the homeworld, its natural that you should have more population there so you can build faster while also popping out colony ships without affecting it much.

Rich Homeworld: make homeworld rich. Cost 2. Reason: 5 units of industry instead of 3 for home planet which means faster production, more galactic credits when econ funding.

Galactic Navigators: increase speed and range of ships. Cost 1. Reason: Must have!!! It’s so great and only cost 1. If you don’t have it, you will travel slower and will not be able to reach critical planets before your opponent does. In one game, which I tested without it, my opponent was able to attack my planets while I could not attack his even though I had a bigger fleet. Also he was able to fly faster to eat up my planets while I was always a turn behind him and could not catch up even though we both has the same lv star drives.

Small minded scientists: less research options at each stage. Cost +3. Reason: I don’t really feel the need to have all the options at each stage, so free 3 pts imo.

Optional Traits I play around with:

Slow Thinkers: -1 Research per scientist. Cost +3. Reason: I feel I can make up research in many different areas and feel it’s the least important factor in early game play.

Proficient Farmers: +1 food per farmer. Cost 3. Reason: less farmers needed to produce food = more citizens for production or research.

Fantastic Engineers: repair ships in and out of combat. Cost 2. Reason: Tactical Strategies that helps a lot early game. Your ships can go 1v1 scout early game and win. Enable you to fly around starbase with your fleet using evasion and not died due to healing. Allows you to kill dark matters and other monsters easier using evasion tactics and etc.

High Gravity Affinity: no penalty on high gravity planets. Cost 1. Reason: some of the best planets are high gravity, but are you a gambling man? High risk = high rewards.

Repulsive: 20% penalty to spying. Cost +2. Reason: Take only when not planning on building a spy build and not planning on building any spies.

Strategies:

Beginning game play:
Turn 1: Build scout, follow by colony ship on main home planet. Scrap destroyer for production. Move one of your population from your 2nd planet to your home planet so it has 2/4 population left. Set the two alt planets to civil funding with all population on production. Make sure your home planet has enough farmers to not fall below 0, and set the rest to production. Move scouts towards the two planets closest to opponents side.

Reason: Scrap destroyer cause its limited in its range and you can have another scout which would allow you to visit more planets without limitations. Moving the population over allows the second planet to be at its max for population growth. I always move population over when I have ¾ pop or 2/3 pop on my alt planets in my home system because I find that 2/4 pop and 1/3 pop grows population faster while I always use my main home base planet to produce colony ships or econ funding.

Early game play:
Try to explore as many planets as possible to obtain as many free tech, lost colonies or free money as possible. Constantly build colony ships at home base planet and expand to rich/high pop planets or towards your opponent’s area. The more planets you colonize the better you are. Try to invade as close as possible to your enemy’s territory so it limits them from expanding. This way your scouts can still explore unexplored planets which your opponent has not yet reached. Try to colonize as many good planets as possible asap. Set all new colonies to civil funding with all citizens on production so you can max out population as fast as possible. Help move citizens around your planets once it gets too full to help grow your newer planets faster, remember that half full populations grows fastest. Remember to keep building colony ships from your home base, don’t stop to research!

Mid game play:
By now you should have 8-10 planets and have already made first contact. Usually what happens in this round is the leader biding starts. With the amount of planets you have, if you see Gorzhon pop up early set everyone to econ funding and max out galactic credits by playing around with population setting between farming and production. You should win and be able to win the game. Otherwise if other leaders pop up, you can do the same strategy to win whichever leader you want.

During this round, is when I look at how my enemy is playing. If he already has tons of research and I’m way behind, then I’ll start setting a couple of planets to building spies. Otherwise if I’m not too far behind yet, I set everyone to research. With the amount of planets and population I have, I should be able to make up research in a limited time. Research Center 1 and 2 should always be the first two things you research. I always build research center right after I finish researching them on all my planets. After that, I usually go for either star drive + fuel cell + exopolitics or laser 3 + heavy armor 2s.

If your opponent start an early invasion, remember that he has to build troops, have a fleet, and a colony ship. If he invade with a weak fleet then build a starbase or buy one. If he has a strong fleet and you are not ready then move all population over to another planet and empty out that planet to stall him.

End game play:
After my laser 3s are done researching I build cruisers like crazy. I like cruisers but you can build whatever you like. My reasoning behind cruisers is that they have 5 weapon slots, compare to battleship’s 6. I can pump out cruisers a lot faster than I can battleships. And 2 cruisers means 10 lasers 3, so the more cruisers I have the more fire power I have. I want to attack fast and hard, so that I have so much firing power that my opponent doesn’t have time to kill off any of my ships. The only time I build battleships is usually for a good leader I don’t want to die off. Keep pumping out ships and troops while your research center research star drives and fuel cells for you. Once you have a big enough fleet, then attack.

Please feel free to ask any questions if you have any. I hope this guide has helped people with their game play.

OP Poster's note.

Apologize to all for not updating this more regularly. With a marriage, a move, and other writing projects this definitely fell to the back burner. Sorry.

More to come later.

Writer and all around crazy person.
GC ID: falanor4421 *** Sandbox : falanor4421 (I think...) ***
Always looking for a game
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2012, 03:59 PM
RE: Frequently Used Strategies
Can you really have a "food" strat? Food is just a means to an end - you can't stockpile it or anything. The real outputs of an empire are money, production and science. Those are the knobs you can twist. Since you always need a specific amount of food every turn, food buffs are really just part of some other strategy. E.g. in a production strategy it may be the case that a food bonus gets you more production that another prod bonus.
05-25-2012, 04:20 PM
(05-25-2012 03:59 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  Can you really have a "food" strat? Food is just a means to an end - you can't stockpile it or anything. The real outputs of an empire are money, production and science. Those are the knobs you can twist. Since you always need a specific amount of food every turn, food buffs are really just part of some other strategy. E.g. in a production strategy it may be the case that a food bonus gets you more production that another prod bonus.

Back a few patches ago before food was modified a bit, you pretty much HAD to have plant whisperers to be competitive, it was actually better than amazing industrialists looking at just those two. Now after that change, it's not as necessary, but a food bonus can still help

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
05-25-2012, 05:52 PM
(05-25-2012 04:20 PM)VanderLegion Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 03:59 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  Can you really have a "food" strat? Food is just a means to an end - you can't stockpile it or anything. The real outputs of an empire are money, production and science. Those are the knobs you can twist. Since you always need a specific amount of food every turn, food buffs are really just part of some other strategy. E.g. in a production strategy it may be the case that a food bonus gets you more production that another prod bonus.

Back a few patches ago before food was modified a bit, you pretty much HAD to have plant whisperers to be competitive, it was actually better than amazing industrialists looking at just those two. Now after that change, it's not as necessary, but a food bonus can still help

Definitely, but I don't think I made my self clear. There is no "food strat" in that you don't stockpile food and you can't do anything with food. Food is just a way to put more dudes on science or industry. It could totally be the best trait, but it's pretty much equivalent to some combination of ind + sci traits. So among those three, there are really only two extremes: ind heavy, or sci heavy, and everything in between. Food only comes into it such that for some specific desired ind/sci ratio, it may be a good idea to get some food because it's better than a ind/sci trait (or the second level of those traits).

You can't "play" a food strat. I.e., what do you do differently than a sci/ind stat? Nothing.

With leaders, you also have money being a third very relevant output (even now it's relevant for some strategies) - again food only plays a supporting role there.
05-25-2012, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2012 09:40 PM by drekx.)
(05-25-2012 05:52 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  Definitely, but I don't think I made my self clear. There is no "food strat" in that you don't stockpile food and you can't do anything with food. Food is just a way to put more dudes on science or industry. It could totally be the best trait, but it's pretty much equivalent to some combination of ind + sci traits. So among those three, there are really only two extremes: ind heavy, or sci heavy, and everything in between. Food only comes into it such that for some specific desired ind/sci ratio, it may be a good idea to get some food because it's better than a ind/sci trait (or the second level of those traits).

You can't "play" a food strat. I.e., what do you do differently than a sci/ind stat? Nothing.

With leaders, you also have money being a third very relevant output (even now it's relevant for some strategies) - again food only plays a supporting role there.

I have to disagree with you on food not being a viable strategy. While you always still need industry, industry doesn't need to be your #1. The current conversion rate of food go gc and using industry to generate gc is the same. It's 2 to 1 conversion rate, that is unless you factor in the farming leader. If you get the farming leader then it becomes a 1 to 1 conversion ratio.

Producing a lot of surplus food with this conversion rate early in the game allows me to jump production (aka buy) the majority of the buildings I build, specially in the new colonies and opens up the possibility of using non-rich worlds more effectively. Late game if i set the majority of my planets to only farming then i would generate 1000-2000+ gc a turn which allows me to buy a ship every 3-4 turns.

Given if you could get the conversion rate for industry to be 1 to 1 with gc then it might be even better.
05-26-2012, 02:33 AM
Just because you can't see the purpose of a strategy does not mean it doesn't exist. =)
05-26-2012, 04:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2012 04:53 AM by Sanchez.)
(05-25-2012 09:36 PM)drekx Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 05:52 PM)Sanchez Wrote:  Definitely, but I don't think I made my self clear. There is no "food strat" in that you don't stockpile food and you can't do anything with food. Food is just a way to put more dudes on science or industry. It could totally be the best trait, but it's pretty much equivalent to some combination of ind + sci traits. So among those three, there are really only two extremes: ind heavy, or sci heavy, and everything in between. Food only comes into it such that for some specific desired ind/sci ratio, it may be a good idea to get some food because it's better than a ind/sci trait (or the second level of those traits).

I have to disagree with you on food not being a viable strategy. While you always still need industry, industry doesn't need to be your #1. The current conversion rate of food go gc and using industry to generate gc is the same. It's 2 to 1 conversion rate, that is unless you factor in the farming leader. If you get the farming leader then it becomes a 1 to 1 conversion ratio.

Producing a lot of surplus food with this conversion rate early in the game allows me to jump production (aka buy) the majority of the buildings I build, specially in the new colonies and opens up the possibility of using non-rich worlds more effectively. Late game if i set the majority of my planets to only farming then i would generate 1000-2000+ gc a turn which allows me to buy a ship every 3-4 turns.

Given if you could get the conversion rate for industry to be 1 to 1 with gc then it might be even better.

I still think we are talking through each other. I'm not saying those racials are not viable or that you can't form a strategy that includes using those racials.

What I'm saying is there is no distinct strategy that uses food and then involves different behavior/tactics in the game - rather it's just in fact a research/industry/leader/balanced strategy. I'd make the same claim if the racial was +10 food per farmer.

For example, if there was a racial that gave you "+1 industry" and one that gave you "+2 industry", for the same cost, you wouldn't claim there was two separate strategies for them, you'd simply always pick the +2 one since it is better, and then talk about an industry strategy to leverage it.

It's similar for freethinking - it just gives you more food/industry, but there is no "morale" strategy, because in the end morale just gives you more food/industry/science, so it's equivalent to some other set of traits.

Many of the other traits have specific, totally distinct advantages which would indeed involve a different strategy.
(05-25-2012 09:36 PM)drekx Wrote:  Producing a lot of surplus food with this conversion rate early in the game allows me to jump production (aka buy) the majority of the buildings I build, specially in the new colonies and opens up the possibility of using non-rich worlds more effectively. Late game if i set the majority of my planets to only farming then i would generate 1000-2000+ gc a turn which allows me to buy a ship every 3-4 turns.

Right, but that's a "money" strategy, which I mentioned above. You just happen to use food to produce it. You could also use industry to produce money.

You are right there that this is a difference though since if you are going for food->money, the kind of planets you want are definitely different than industry->money.

So I'll concede that point - there is a distinct food strategy if you consider money Tongue

The OP didn't cover that though, so I would maintain my objection that it's obfuscating matters.
05-26-2012, 05:36 AM
(05-26-2012 04:49 AM)Sanchez Wrote:  
(05-25-2012 09:36 PM)drekx Wrote:  

I still think we are talking through each other. I'm not saying those racials are not viable or that you can't form a strategy that includes using those racials.

What I'm saying is there is no distinct strategy that uses food and then involves different behavior/tactics in the game - rather it's just in fact a research/industry/leader/balanced strategy. I'd make the same claim if the racial was +10 food per farmer.

For example, if there was a racial that gave you "+1 industry" and one that gave you "+2 industry", for the same cost, you wouldn't claim there was two separate strategies for them, you'd simply always pick the +2 one since it is better, and then talk about an industry strategy to leverage it.

It's similar for freethinking - it just gives you more food/industry, but there is no "morale" strategy, because in the end morale just gives you more food/industry/science, so it's equivalent to some other set of traits.

Many of the other traits have specific, totally distinct advantages which would indeed involve a different strategy.
(05-25-2012 09:36 PM)drekx Wrote:  Producing a lot of surplus food with this conversion rate early in the game allows me to jump production (aka buy) the majority of the buildings I build, specially in the new colonies and opens up the possibility of using non-rich worlds more effectively. Late game if i set the majority of my planets to only farming then i would generate 1000-2000+ gc a turn which allows me to buy a ship every 3-4 turns.

Right, but that's a "money" strategy, which I mentioned above. You just happen to use food to produce it. You could also use industry to produce money.

You are right there that this is a difference though since if you are going for food->money, the kind of planets you want are definitely different than industry->money.

So I'll concede that point - there is a distinct food strategy if you consider money Tongue

The OP didn't cover that though, so I would maintain my objection that it's obfuscating matters.

To be fair, the OP never calls it a farming strategy, he calls it a farming BUILD, which is exactly what it is, a build designed to take advantage of farming. If you're using farming to get money, that doesn't change the fact that it's a farming build, as with a different build, farming to get cash wouldn't work nearly as well.

GC ID - VanderLegion, GMT-9. Sandbox GC ID (Beta) - VanderLegion
05-26-2012, 05:58 AM
We should setup a different thread if we want to keep discussing this, just cause this could potentially drag for a bit and well that would be hijacking the thread in a ways =P.
05-27-2012, 12:32 AM
Shared Intelligence helps a lot with early game food production and deserves a mention. Heck, I've had some builds which have done rather nicely even with an early food penalty using Shared Intelligence early on before shifting burden over to the likes of poor terran planets or research. And soon there's the option of a leader who might be easier to get than most. Add a food bonus and you'll be feeding hungry mouths with delight.

GCID: Bruin; Sandbox: Bru-test-in